Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) is the most required for not only the HR department but also other departments of the Organization. I believe, SOP is more understandable or more standard than the HR Manual. Because it clears the fact well. Here we will see the steps on how to prepare Standard Operating Procedures (SOP).
Name and Approval Page of the Standard Operating Procedure
The first page will be the naming and approval page of the SOP. As an example Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), SOP CO1-001, Recruitment & Selection Process.
And then Prepared by (HR Manager) – Recommended by (CHRO / HR General Manager) – Approved by (Managing Director) along with prepared, recommended and approved date.
The Second Page will be the content. The whole SOPs contents and page number accordingly will be here.
The objective of the SOP gives the answer to the question ‘why this SOP is necessary’? The objectives of an SOP on Recruitment & Selection may be:
- To fill the vacant position
- To replace the positions that are vacant due to leave, promotion, etc.
- To make the rules of the Recruitment & Selection and inform all the colleagues
To whom this particular SOP is applicable like This procedure is applicable for all the employees of this organization.
3. Responsible Persons and Departments
All the persons and departments who are responsible for any phase mention here, like:
- All the Department Heads
- Human Resources Department
- Managing Director for approval
4. Flow Chart of the Instructions
5. Details of the Instructions
- Requisition for recruitment: When a vacancy occurs or a new position is created, the relevant department head will raise a requisition for recruitment.
- Approval from the Managing Director: The HR department will review the requirements and take approval from the Managing Director.
- CV Collections and arranging Interviews: HR department is responsible for the CV Collections and arranging Interviews. CVs of the applicants may come from both the sources e.g. employee referrals and applications against job advertisements. Generally, the interview method will be oral. Sometimes to find-out, the best candidate HR may arrange written tests and examinations. If it is not possible to evaluate candidates by only one interview/test, HR may call for a 2nd-time interview/test for the same candidate.
- Offer Letter and Appointment: On the basis of the recommendations form the interviewers, HR will negotiate, prepare the offer and appointment letters, job descriptions and take the approval from the Managing Director. And issue the offer letter to the selected candidate.
- Probationary Period: All newly recruited employees have to work under the probationary period a minimum of 6 months. Newly recruited employees will be in close observation by their supervisor during the period. Either party can terminate the employment contract during this period without prior notice.
- Confirmation of the Service: After successful completion of the probationary period employee’s service will be confirmed with the company through a performance evaluation process.
6. Record Forms
Requisition for Recruitment Form F/SOP HO1-001